Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A fat guy tries Yoga - soon to be a sitcom

Progressive has a gym at our campus. Although I already belong to Bally’s, I decided to join. At only $10/paycheck, it’s too good a bargain to pass up – especially considering that most group classes are included in the cost of membership.

So, I’ve begun taking two classes: Hi/Lo Impact Aerobics, and Introduction to Yoga. The first Hi/Lo class was very taxing – I actually thought for a moment I might die, and for two days I was profoundly sore.

Yoga has been a different experience. My friend Mark had recommended that I try it, but I demurred. My body type didn’t seem suited to it. But since this is an Intro class, I decided to give it a try. Well, I’m glad I did. I’ve emerged from each session feeling relaxed and centered. A warm, tingly sensation filled much of my body, and I could feel my circulation improving. After the first session, there was a very slight soreness around my joints, but it was minor compared to the sense of wellness I felt.

Studying up on Yoga, I was amused to learn that the Catholic Church has issued warnings about the dangers of Yoga. Not from the stretching, but that practicing it opens one’s soul to Satan. Give me a break, Mary.

No comments: