Thursday, February 16, 2012

Exercising my way out of Winter Blues

Winter is a mixed bag for me. Although I don’t suffer from full-fledged Seasonal Affective Disorder, the lack of sunlight and occasional cabin fever can bring me down emotionally. At the same time, I appreciate the challenge Winter throws at me, and try to surmount it. As with many people, I have tended to gain weight during the cold months and taper off during the warmer months. But over the past 15 years, I gained more and lost less each season. There has been a variation on that pattern this season: I lost no substantial weight.

But then I started to put things into perspective: If the number on the scale is the same, and I am gaining lean muscle, then ipso-facto I am losing body fat.

Today, I went to Progressive’s Healthy U class – an all-day training session geared toward proper nutrition, exercise, stress reduction, along with financial and end-of-life planning. Every company should offer this kind of class.


2/16/2012 211 #

No comments: