Monday, May 9, 2011

Clumsy Cover up at the Plain Dealer

As mentioned here, on May 3, I wrote a letter to the Plain Dealer regarding the death of Osama Bin Laden. That letter was published, in edited form, on May 8. The Plain Dealer’s clumsy editing removed an important point in my letter, which drew comparisons between the operation to get Bin Laden and the failed Operation Eagle Claw in 1980. But for an incident of bad weather, Operation Eagle Claw may well have been a success. Indeed, it’s very possible that, had the hostages been rescued, Jimmy Carter might have been reelected that year.

I made several attempts at Cleveland.com to link to the original text of my letter, but all posts have been censored. The only reason the PD would have for this is to cover-up their hack job on my letter.

The Plain Dealer makes it, well, PLAIN that they reserve the right to edit letters. Pity that they did such a poor job on mine.

No comments: